When a pack takes him in, his entire world changes, and loyalties are
developed. Then disaster strikes, and he’s on a ruthless mission
normal, peaceful life on her own, she didn’t expect to get herself
caught in the crossfire of two factions of violent, feuding
werewolves. And definitely not entangled with a sexy biker shifter
that made her weak in the knees. Against their will, Maddie and
Aidan’s worlds collide, and with an attraction so enthralling, both
are helpless to resist.
betrayal so heinous, it puts the lives of his entire pack and the
brave woman he desires at unthinkable risk. The stakes are high, and
both must decide if Maddie ultimately can live in his violent world
of teeth and claw in this action-packed paranormal romance series!
- The corner of his lips curved into a breathtaking smile, his features brightened and turned so incredibly sexy, Maddie’s heart fluttered at the sight of it.
- Goodness, the man was beguiling! He definitely needs to smile more often!
- She beamed. “Was that a smile?”
- He looked back at her hands tending to him, letting his smile fade. “Perhaps.”
- “That was a smile.” Her face triumphant as if she won some great battle. She dabbed alcohol on his other hand. “What’s your name?”
- She blew on his cut and pulled his hand onto her lap. “I like that name. Aidan.” She met his eyes levelly as she pronounced his name. “I’m Madeline. My friends call me Maddie. Where are you from?”
- Aidan cocked his head as she dutifully tended to him. She didn’t fear him, nor hate him. A stranger to her, her heart reached out to assist him. Her altruism was blowing him away just as much as her feather touch that seemed to heat his blood.
- “Never been there, but I’ve heard the scenery is awesome. That’s a long haul. You out visiting?”
- “Interrogating me, doctor?” He quipped.
- “No,” she smiled. “I wouldn’t be small town if I didn’t mettle. Besides, I will be sending you a bill, so I’d like to know where to send it.”
- “Ah. Here I thought you were showing a gesture?” He smiled.
- “Well, one good turn deserves another, but business is business.” She said smiling back at him as she closed the bandage on his arm. She ran her hand around his bicep to make sure the bandage was smoothed. Maddie actually enjoyed tending to his wounds. It was a great excuse to grope around on his delicious body. To feel the hardness of his honed, lean body. Let’s face it, he was definitely the best looking patient she’s had thus far.
- Aidan looked into her eyes, a little overwhelmed he managed to find himself with this woman who sought to be kind. Looking around, he found himself worried for her well being. This wasn’t a town to help strangers. “Do you make a habit of tending to strangers all alone?”
- Maddie shrugged. “I hate to blow your ego up, but in truth, no. It appears you’re a special case.” She was amazed herself at her trusting kindness rising to the surface again with him. For such a long time, she reserved her hospitality to animals, which have proven to be more accepting of help. After Eric, she realized that all her kindness would do was get her used and hurt. Now, Aidan shows up and she practically rolls out the red carpet for him. “My Nana says that all friends were strangers once.”
- “That’s a dangerous sentiment, Maddie. Taking in strays.”
- “I appreciate the concern, but that’s kinda my territory.” Applying the liquid sealant on one gash, she glances at him. “Besides, it’s dangerous to take on a whole bar as well.”
- “That’s… different.”
- Maddie nodded. “Umm hmm.” Her voice playfully unconvinced. “What if I was to tell you that I happen to know that you aren’t going to hurt me? That I could tell if you would?”
- “Is that so?” Aidan leaned back, curious of her explanation. “I would ask you how.”
- “Well, I, being a vet, can read a lot of body languages and such since I deal with patients that cannot speak. I know mannerisms that are threatening.”
- “Go on.”
- “Well,” She cleared her throat, and tried not to stare at him. He was unbelievably easy on the eyes. “For starters, you haven’t challenged me yet. Many animals stand their ground and stare me down, intimidating you to back off, especially since you’re injured. It’s a vulnerability most animals can’t stand, and won’t let you near them.”
- “Is that it?”
- “Yeah, and you haven’t initiated closing in space enough to attack me.
- “Hmm. Am I that transparent?”
- “Let’s just say I’m not an idiot. I trust you, but I do have a shotgun in close proximity to me as well.”
- He wanted to smile in disbelief, but he honestly wasn’t sure if she was joking or not.
- “You don’t trust your instincts?”
- Maddie’s spunk got knocked down a few notches as she thought of Eric. “I don’t give them too much clout anymore.” She rebounded with a little smirk, but not fast enough to keep Aidan from seeing the pain on her face a moment ago.
- “Thank you.” Aidan inspected the bandage. His other hand was still on her lap, resting against the dip of her thighs. Her skirt was of such thin, silky material, it felt as if his hand rested on water. As he stared down at her bare legs between them, he wondered if her skin felt the same way—or better.
- He shook the thought away. Annoyed with himself for being so taken by the interest of her. Of Maddie. The human. But something about her kept him wanting to explore who she was.
- “You’re welcome. Aidan. I don’t mind helping you at all.” She placed the extra bandages back in the case and snapped it. “You were an excellent patient. Not a single whine.” She gifted him a kind-hearted smile. “I’d give you a lollipop if I had one, but most of my patients enjoy doggy biscuits instead.”
- Before Aidan could stop himself, the hand on her lap hooked around her waist and pulled her in the stool even closer to him. Their eyes locked, and though her face was shocked by the quick gesture, he sensed no fear from her. How was it she was comfortable with him? A lot of times, he just gave people the creeps, but Maddie looked at him as if she was fascinated with him. He found it odd.
- Maddie swallowed hard as the faint scent of him and sandalwood surrounded her. There was something very demanding and predatorily sexy about the man before her. Possessing a raw, masculine power about him that was tempting, frightening and deadly. The air around him seemed to hold a thickness between them, as if he was more than he appeared. It drew her to taste that power, and the thought of it nearly left her speechless.
- “You just… closed the space between us…” she trailed off as she stared at his lips.
- “So it would seem.” He leaned closer to her, as if his body wanted to gravitate to her. He couldn’t remember the last time a woman ever riled him up. And never a human.
- “Are you planning to attack me?” Maddie leaned into him, feeling his body heat.
- “Not…exactly.” He voice became distracted and slow as he concentrated on the idea of claiming a taste of her. Feeling the softness of those heart-shaped lips. Never had been compelled to do such a thing before.
- The spell was broken as Maddie jumped at the sound of loud knocking on her front office door.
enamored with all things that go “bump in the night” for
who knows how long. She truly believes that finding humanity and
beauty in some of the most seemingly unconventional places is part of
the romantic psyche to her. A big fan of the Big Easy, Kharma tends
to weave her proud Cajun heritage and values into her books. She
enjoys reading other urban fantasy and romance novels and playing
Minecraft in her spare time.
Bureau” series. Expect more sexy, dangerous and even hilarious
installments to be released along with a new “ShadowShifter”
series coming in 2017.
often and beta tests her new story ideas there as well as provide
guidance and critiques to aspiring authors.
Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole and the late great author, L.A.
“wrong” places in the world of fantasy. Of angels, demons,
ghosts, werewolves and your occasional blood sucker, all these
paranormal metaphors are catalysts of what humans are and crave
most…that we’re all different, beautiful and a little bit
weird–and just want someone to love us for who we are.”
for exclusive excerpts, teasers and a giveaway!